The City of Kawartha Lakes Police Service in partnership with Safe Communities Kawartha Lakes is pleased to invite you to a community consultation facilitated by the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services (Ministry) Phase II – Community Engagement, which represents the second step towards the development of a provincial crime prevention strategy.
The City of Kawartha Lakes engagement session has been scheduled for Wednesday September 4th, 2013 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Victoria Park Armouries, 210 Kent St W, Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y8
The Ministry is working with its inter-ministerial and policing partners to develop a provincial crime prevention strategy. The first step in this process was to raise awareness and to promote the benefits of crime prevention to Ontario communities through the development of the Crime Prevention in Ontario: A Framework for Action (attached).
The Ministry intends on facilitating the engagement session and will kick-off the session with a brief presentation on the provincial crime prevention strategy.
The purpose of the presentation is to provide information on the work the province is undertaking toward the development of a provincial crime prevention strategy, including:
• an educational component, which will summarize, the Crime Prevention in Ontario: A Framework for Action booklet;
• an outline of Phase II of the strategy, Community Engagement;
• obtain responses from the communities on the engagement questions; and
• identify next steps.
As a part of the presentation the Ministry will ask the following questions:
1. What types of crime prevention/community safety strategies and programs does your community currently have in place?
2. Is there anything that could help your community enhance your crime prevention/community safety strategies and programs?
3. Are there any concerns or gaps (systemic, disorder, quality of life, crime, etc.) in your community that you would like to address?
The engagement session will inform the development of the following two key deliverables and will assist Ontario’s diverse communities in developing their own, region-specific crime prevention and community safety initiatives:
• Crime Prevention in Ontario: A Community Analysis
• Will provide an analysis of the crime issues, risk factors, challenges, resources/partnerships in Ontario’s communities.
• Crime Prevention in Ontario: Promising Practices
• Will provide an overview of promising practices currently being used in Ontario.
The information collected will also inform the development of Phase III, the provincial crime prevention strategy.
Please note, in order to ensure a multi-disciplinary perspective at these engagement sessions, the Ministry is suggesting representation from the following local partners/stakeholders:
• Municipal government officials
• Police Services/Boards
• Community agencies
• Members of the public
• Private sector representatives
• Educators (including School Board Officials, Principals and Teachers)
• Health care professionals
• Mental health professionals
• Social workers
• Corrections and Youth Justice Staff (if applicable); and
• Researchers/University students.
Please confirm your or an alternates attendance by Monday August 26th to Evelyn Chambers, Coordinator, Safe Communities Kawartha Lakes via email at email@example.com or alternatively (705) 878-5081.
On behalf of the City of Kawartha Lakes Police Service and Safe Communities Kawartha Lakes, I look forward to having you join us for this session and to working with you to identify solutions relating to crime prevention in our community.